By WalkingTree August 13, 2020
Improving the performance of a monolith system is quite challenging. Things are tightly coupled with each other that it becomes difficult to make any changes. Unlike microservices, where things are totally under the control of developers. But improving the performance of a monolithic application is not impossible. Let’s take a look at some of the issues in a monolithic architecture and what the solutions can be.
- Lack of ownership – Things change with time and people move from one team to another or even another company. Now in a monolith, the code-base is shared and with time it might happen that a specific portion of code would remain idle. There will be no one who would own that piece of code.
- No defined SLA – With a team working on some component of the code, there is no clear separation of services there is no adherence to any contract or SLA.
- Hard to find regression – Since there is no separation of services. it can be difficult to figure out the root cause when a component starts to degrade.
- Exclusions – Often an API keeps on piling more and more data. With time this can become obsolete, so they should be cleaned up if not required.
- Parallelism – If tasks are comparable in nature and performance, it can help to execute them in parallel.
- Use Request Level Cache – In a monolith architecture, there are many calls within one request, there are more chances of getting invoked. Use the Request Scope Cache for evaluating. It caches the result of the first invocation during the execution.
Read on to know more about Monolithic architecture and you can improve its performance.
DevOps is the most recent tech absorption in enterprises with close sync between software development and IT operations…
Problem statement Before the advent of Microservices, we used to create a properties files in which we maintained…
As we all know, Microservices brought in a paradigm shift in the way we think, design and architect…
In my recent articles, I covered the core building blocks of DevOps in Microservices and Pitfalls of each…
In my previous article, I covered the core building blocks of DevOps in Microservices environment. As part of…