By WalkingTree September 15, 2020
In the early stages of design thinking, it’s important to sketch. But once moving beyond the concept, a design must be well-reasoned, particularly if you are designing applications. This “reasoning” would be done by a business analyst. But that might not always be the case, designers need to be prepared to take on this task.
One of the best ways to ensure a design is well-reasoned is to be “forced” to describe it verbally. The “documentation is designing” approach obviates the need for a big documentation pass. The benefit of integrating documentation into your design practice helps build explanatory writing skills.
Type of Design Documentation
When creating a design, look at a system from two perspectives: the structural perspective and the task perspective:
Task Perspective includes:
- User Stories: User stories are brief and designed to generate discussion.
- Use Cases: Use cases are more lengthy and definitive, describing more precisely what the system will do.
- Scenario Narratives: They provide more descriptive details about how a set of tasks are performed.
- Screen Flow Diagrams: Shows how users move screen-to-screen, can vary from simple flows to more comprehensive diagrams.
- Page-Level Documentation: An overview of the function of the page and Step-by-step instructions for any interactive demos.
Structural Perspective includes:
- Object Model: Similar to the way that flow diagrams provide a 30,000 ft view. The object model shows that view from a structural standpoint
- System Vocabulary: It can be helpful to explicitly document system vocabulary.
- Architecture Map: Its goal is to communicate how the application is structured and represents the information hierarchy.
- Page Archetypes: They are specific genres of pages that share layout characteristics.
- Standardized Components: Includes elements that are shared across the breadth of a web site or system.
Read on to know more about documentation and how design thinking can help.
Welcome back to the Dashboard Design Principles series! If this is your first time here, part 1 will…
It is frustrating to not have the information you need at your fingertips. With astronomical data coming in…
It has become evident that over the past decade the BFSI industry is heading toward a major overhaul….
Accessibility put simply, is a user experience designed for all. This concept, although around for a while, has…
Organizations today have a plethora of technologies to use. These technologies have helped them improve their services by…